Colin Robins, Ph.D.
I am an environmental scientist, physical geographer, soil scientist, and geologist.
Soils, sediments, and landforms are brilliantly puzzling, complex palimpsests that reflect both ancient and present-day environmental conditions. I study the ways in which landscape components record surface, climate, and ecosystem histories at scales ranging from the nanometer to the kilometer. My chief research interests are currently: (1) the pursuit of new, quantitative, isotopic measures of arid soil minerals and geomorphic surface ages, and (2) applications of soil science to challenges in species conservation and/or land management efforts.
Selected Research and Publications
- Robins, C.R., Buck, B.J., and Williams, A.J., 2014. Surficial geologic and soil habitat criteria for Eriogonum corymbosum var. nilesii, a Mojave Desert “gypsophile”. Catena 118: 9-19.
- Robins, C.R. , Buck, B.J., Spell, T., Soukup, D., and Steinberg, S.M., 2014. Testing the applicability of vacuum-encapsulated 40Ar/39Ar geochronology to pedogenic palygorskite and sepiolite. Quaternary Geochronology, 20: 8-22.
- Rogers, R., Krause, D.W., Kast, S.C., Marshall, M.S., Rahantarisoa, L., Robins, C.R., and Sertich, J.J . 2013. A new, richly fossiliferous member comprised of tidal deposits in the Upper Cretaceous Maevarano Formation, northwestern Madagascar. Cretaceous Research 44:12-29.
- Robins, C.R. , Brock-Hon, A.L., and Buck, B.J., 2012. Conceptual mineral genesis models for calcic pendants and petrocalcic horizons, NV. Soil Science Society of America Journal 76(5): 1887-1903.
- Robins, C.R., Buck, B.J., Williams, A.J., Morton, J.L., Howell, M.S., Yonovitz, M.L., and House, P.K., 2009. Comparison of flood hazard assessments on desert piedmonts and playas: A case study in Ivanpah Valley, Nevada. Geomorphology, 103 (4): 520-532.
Colin Robins, Ph.D.
Education: Ph.D., University of Nevada Las Vegas (Geoscience)
M.S., Oregon State University,(Soil Science)
B.A., Macalester College (Geology & Spanish)
Department: Keck Science - Chemistry
Phone: (909) 607-7170
Address: Keck Science Center 238
Website: Web Site
For more information, please contact the Claremont McKenna College Public Affairs Office at (909) 621-8099