Building on CMC (current projects)
Kravis Center Project
Just a click away: See the latest Kravis Center design updates—including images, sketches, and drawings—on the
Rafael Viñoly Architects PC Web site.
Kravis Center consists of the construction of a five-level, 162,000 square-foot academic and administrative facility and will serve as the western gateway to the Claremont McKenna campus. The overall project includes offices, classrooms, seminar rooms, an underground parking structure, and outdoor courtyards.
|Click here to view images from project webcams|
LEED Certification: Silver/Gold
Work to date:
- Earthwork shoring, mass excavation and foundation underpinning of structures adjacent to the site has been completed.
- The installation of the tower crane to alleviate street interruptions has been completed.
- The installation of the foundation, perimeter shotcrete walls, concrete shear walls, and concrete columns from the lower level is ongoing.
- Installation of underground plumbing and electrical rough-in is ongoing.
- Waterproofing of both the existing walls at Roberts North & South and the Kravis Center is ongoing.
- The concrete superstructure is nearing completion; only the placement of concrete at a portion of the fourth floor and first floor remain.
- Erection of the structural steel roof is scheduled to commence in mid-March 2010 and be completed by the end of the month.
- The testing of the exterior curtain performance mock-up, and confirmation of exterior finishes, is scheduled for early March.
- Electrical and mechanical rough-in in the basement level for the central plant, data center, and building systems are ongoing.
Q&A with Rafael Viñoly-Menendez
Rafael Viñoly-Menendez, formerly the Los Angeles-based project director for New York's Rafael Viñoly Architects PC, the team that is creating the new Kravis Center at CMC. Viñoly-Menendez discusses the Center’s design, including its nifty green elements. Read Chatting with the Architect.
Groundbreaking Ceremony for the Kravis Center
October 3, 2008
Harry T. McMahon ’75 P’08 P’09, Chair, Claremont McKenna College Board of Trustees; Rafael Viñoly, Architect; Marie-Josée Kravis; Henry Kravis ’67; Pamela B. Gann, President; and Greg Hess, Dean of the Faculty, dig in at the groundbreaking for the Kravis Center.